Multibyte char displayed differently on linux vs windows

We’re using version 5.65.9 on Chrome 105. When we display a weird multibyte char in CM on windows it shows up as a single quotes. When we display the same string on linux, CM displays the weird char as a red dot. We like the behavior on linux. Why do the platforms behave differently? Is there a way to get windows to behave the same as linux?

Here is the string:

where monitorId = ‘ocid1.apmsyntheticmonitor.oc1.phx.aaaaaaaa3gjkkgjwlpyo635ntnu4fqiwbzpvjlv22h3ivoa3wvoecw3g4w4a’

The characters are hexcode e28098, unicode u+2018, the other is hex e28099, unicode u+2019

Windows:

Linux:

The replacement of characters with red dots is done by highlightSpecialChars. That behaves the same across platforms and does not, by default, replace ‘’ though, so I suspect your test somehow went wrong.

CM definitely behaves different on the two platforms for us.

How do you call that function? I get error that function does not exist for codemirror. Do I need to include an extension?

Can it be called with no parameters to highlight all unusuall chars or do we need to explicitly specify chars through RegEx?

I don’t think that method is available for version 5. But in version 5 doc I see specialChars with a default of

/[\u0000-\u001f\u007f-\u009f\u00ad\u061c\u200b\u200e\u200f\u2028\u2029\u202d\u202e\u2066\u2067\u2069\ufeff\ufff9-\ufffc]/

which does not include u2018 or u2019 so we could add them to the default RegEx.

It’s interesting how different platforms can sometimes display characters differently. In your case, the multibyte char is shown as a single quote on Windows, while Linux displays it as a red dot. I can understand why you prefer the behavior on Linux.
As for getting Windows to behave the same way, it might be worth exploring some configuration options or settings within your Chrome version. However, I’m not entirely sure about the specifics.
By the way, if you ever need some helpful insights or advice on Windows-related topics, there’s a subreddit - Windows 10 Key Cheap, that you should check out. They often have discussions and tips on various Windows-related matters. I found it quite useful when I had some Windows-related queries myself.